6.06.2011

Things I Like to Cook (And Eat) 3

Coconut Pandan Mochi

I love pandan and most things that use it as a flavoring. I have a pretty acute sense of smell, and when I catch a whiff of it in any store I follow my nose to the source and usually buy it. That is how I came across this little bottle of pandan paste. I had a box of rice flour and decided to try out a marriage of a few of my favorite things: pandan, mochi and coconut. I was originally going to try forming them into balls, but after getting very frustrated I decided the best way to get the coconut layer to stick properly (and the mochi not to stick to my hands) was to make squares.



Ingredients:

2 cups mochiko (rice flour)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 tbsp pandan paste
water
1/2 cup grated coconut


Put sugar in a saucepan with 1 cup of water and pandan paste. Use less or more pandan paste depending on how strong you want the flavor. Heat on low until the sugar is completely dissolved. Mix mochi flour with 3 cups of water in a large bowl until it is smooth. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes. Mix again, cover, and microwave for another 5 minutes. Pour in sugar pandan syrup and mix completely. While it is still hot scrape out of bowl into a greased pan and try to smooth it out as much as possible. Pour ground coconut on top and use your fingers to spread it out/flatten the mochi. Allow to cool and then cut into squares. Enjoy!

No comments: